INTERLACHEN, INC. HOMEOWNER’S
ASSOCIATION BOARD MEETING
March 4, 2015
Home of Allen Johnson
Board Members Present:
Allen Johnson, President
Don Jacobson, Vice President
Roger Keast, Treasurer
Michelle Monson, Secretary
Steve Nelson, Blue Lake Commissioner
Tom Burns, Roads and Parks Commissioner
Ted Smits, Membership Commissioner
Erika Teyema, Social Committee
Bob Torheim, FLPOA/IWPUD Liaison Commissioner
Meeting Called to Order: 7:00 pm
Reading and Approval of the Minutes:
Allen will post the approved minutes for January, 1015, on the Interlachen, Inc. website.
REPORTS OF OFFICERS AND COMMISSIONERS:
PRESIDENT, Allen Johnson:
See: “Old Business” below.
VICE PRESIDENT, Don Jacobson:
See “Old Business” below.
TREASURER, Roger Keast:
Roger presented the balance and reconciliation. Checks numbered 1322 through 1330 were approved by the board. Roger stated that he will seek
approval at the annual meeting to spend the BLIA and roads funds in full as needed.
Steve Nelson, Blue Lake Commissioner:
Steve shared that on May 1st, boat owners will have lake access. Steve has the bollard and will change the lock combination regularly. Allen requested that he inform a few board members of the combination changes so that registered boat owners can have access when Steve is out of town.
Only boats with insurance who have paid their boat fees will be issued stickers and after a decision is made on changes to boat rules.
FLPOA/IWPUD LIAISON COMMISSIONER, Bob Torheim:
Bob was excused from the meeting.
ROADS AND PARKS COMMISSIONER, Tom Burns:
Tom shared that he is obtaining bids to install a sprinkler system in Welsh Park.
MEMBERSHIP COMMISSIONER, Ted Smits:
SOCIAL COMMITTEE, Erika Teyema:
Erika was not present. Allen spoke with Erika, and she expressed a need to reduce her involvement in the planning and execution of social events. Janice Johnson and Betty Keast have volunteered to plan the Christmas events. The social committee will meet next Friday to plan for 2015, and we will have more information.
- Troutdale Energy Center (TEC) update:
Mel Rieff and Allen have been busy with letter writing and have carefully drafted a press release to go out next week following feedback from the Friends of the Columbia River. The press release will go to both newspaper outlets and television stations with the hope that more knowledge on the proposed plant will elicit public opposition. Many thanks to both Mel and Allen for their unceasing efforts on our behalf.
- Road Repairs: No report.
- Flyer for Blue Lake: Allen included a page of pertinent information for
members with the dues invoices. He received positive feedback from several members.
- Committee on Blue Lake Boat Rules: Don and Steve presented the major issues surrounding changes to boat rules. Some home owners want to be able to use towers for wake boarding while others are opposed as the large wakes lead to property damage to docks and erosion of shorelines. A meeting will be held next Thursday with interested parties towards an agreement.
- Blue Lake Fills: There is an ordinance established in 1982 (amended
in1984) that the City of Portland (now, Metro) will add 3 million gallons of water to Blue Lake annually, raising the level approximately 15 inches. BLIA would be responsible for the operational costs shared with Metro. Richard Warner made contact with the Director of the City of Portland Water Bureau to confirm operational costs. We are working with Metro to establish guidelines for when the needs for a water fill have been met (e.g., when the water reaches a certain level or when the acidity reaches levels conducive to algae bloom).Karen Williams of DEQ agrees that well water adds unwanted phospherous which provides food for algae growth but does cool the lake which decreases the likelihood of an algae bloom. An option would be to use water from wells containing less phospherous. Karen will be attending our next water fill meeting in March.In the future, we need to monitor the chemistry of the water as a result of the fills.
- Budget for 2015/16: Roger is prepared to present the budget for 2015/16 at the annual meeting for approval by the members.
- Dues Letter: The dues letters were mailed out Feb. 23, 2015.
- Annual Meeting: Allen presented his power point presentation to the board. (Thank you, Allen). He invited representatives from Metro to present new projects in the park, and members will be introduced to our East Metro Mediator, Tera Cleland, to assist in neighborhood disputes. Joel Schoening of the Multnomah County Drainage District will speak on proposed flood control plans for our area. Captain Reiser of the Multnomah County Sheriff’s Department will speak about the rising number of thefts and prevention strategies, and he will inform members that a deputy has been assigned to our street, Deputy Joshua Azevedo. Representatives from IWPUD and BLIA will speak at the meeting.Board member nominations will be presented, and Ernie Brawley and Mel Rieff will provide the results of their annual audit.
- In order for Allen to continue to speak for Interlachen, Inc. at the TEC hearings, the board unanimously reaffirmed Allen as our representative.
- Roger shared that there are problems with the Interlachen, Inc. website. Joe Hartman, who manages the site, is unable to send more than 200 emails at a time. Due to the number of phishing account entries, many members are not receiving the emails. Roger has tried sending emails from his list in four segments. Rather than attempt to manually add one email address at a time to develop a working list, Roger suggested sending in his Excel spread sheet of addresses to Joe. This would mean that the previous list would be deleted without a guarantee that all addresses would be current. The board approved a motion for Roger to provide the new list of email addresses for distribution from the Interlachen, Inc. website. Roger also stated that the website itself needs updating, and Joe Hartman has offered to provide a new site at no cost to us.
- 2015 Boat Stickers and Bollard Lock:
Boat stickers will not be issued until the boating rules are decided upon.
THE NEXT BOARD MEETING WILL BE HELD
ON MONDAY, APRIL 13, 2015, AT THE BLUE LAKE HOUSE AT 7:00 PM
WITH SOCIAL HOUR FROM 6:00 TO 7:00