INTERLACHEN, INC. HOMEOWNER’S ASSOCIATION
January 6, 2015
Home of Roger Keast
Board Members Present:
Allen Johnson, President
Steve Nelson, Blue Lake Commissioner
Roger Keast, Treasurer
Michelle Monson, Secretary
Ted Smits, Membership Commissioner
Don Jacobson, Vice President; Bob Torheim, FLPOA/IWPUD Liaison Commissioner; Tom Burns, Parks and Roads Commissioner; Erica Teyema, Social Committee
Meeting Called to Order: 7:15 pm
Reading and Approval of the Minutes:
Allen will post the approved minutes for November, 2014, on the Interlachen, Inc. website.
REPORTS OF OFFICERS AND COMMISSIONERS:
PRESIDENT, Allen Johnson:
Allen reported that the landscaping work on 223rd across from Blue Lake Park has been completed by Metro.
VICE PRESIDENT, Don Jacobson:
SECRETARY, Michelle Monson:
Michelle shared that the Friday Frolic schedule for 2015 is now filled by generous neighbors. The schedule will be posted on the Interlachen, Inc. website.
FLPOA/IWPUD LIAISON COMMISSIONER, Bob Torheim:
TREASURER, Roger Keast:
Roger presented the current budget. Checks #1321 and #1322 were approved by the board. With the dues increase, we expect to have approximately $5,000 in surplus if member numbers continue to be high.
Last year we had 90 members and 5 associate members.
Roger will open a new bank account at First Community Credit Union for Interlachen, Inc. following the closure of Riverview in Wal-Mart.
ROADS AND PARKS COMMISSIONER, Tom Burns:
Tom was excused, and Allen read a letter Tom sent to Wm. Stanley and Sons regarding final payment once an agreement is met to pave the section between Lachenview and 216th in lieu of painting the speed bump stripes. Despite repeated attempts, Tom has not received a response from the owner or contractors with Wm. Stanley and Sons. Tom will continue to pursue completion of the road project.
BLUE LAKE COMMISSIONER, Steve Nelson:
Steve reported that Blue Lake water levels are up a foot due to rainfall.
MEMBERSHIP COMMISSIONER, Ted Smits:
Ted expects two new members as we have two new households on Interlachen.
SOCIAL COMMITTEE, Erika Teyema:
Erica was not present, and she telephoned that she gave a $25 gift card to Santa for his stellar performance (that would be Roger Keast).
Roger and family enjoyed a discount at Xavier’s and Roger expressed his gratitude.
- Troutdale Energy Center (TEC) update:
Allen posted his response to a newpaper columnist who is in favor of the
Troutdale Energy Center. Allen’s letter outlined, very precisely, why there is reasonable opposition to the proposed project. He did not receive a response to his rebuttal. The attorney for The Friends of the Columbia Gorge pointed out to Allen that we are the closest community to the project
site and the only representatives from the surrounding community at this time with concerns. Both the cities of Troutdale and Fairview have newly elected adminstrations, and we are hopeful that they will become allies.
Allen has compiled data on the record of the New York based company
proposing the energy center. The company has been subject to large fines due to serious violations of health and safety resulting in multiple deaths at one of its facilities. We believe it is time to go public with our concerns as there seems to be no publicity at this time from opponents.
- Tom continues to negotiate for completion of the road project.
- Allen is targeting a Blue Lake flyer like the one produced for Fairview Lake to be distributed with the annual dues request letter.
- The committee on boat rules is not yet established. Don Jacobson is to chair the committee before the annual meeting so that potential changes to standing rules can be voted upon at that meeting.
- Allen will schedule a meeting to discuss a process to determine possible Blue Lake fills. The committee will consist of representatives from the neighborhood, Metro, the City of Portland, BLIA, and the EPA.
- Roger is prepared to present a budget proposal to members at the annual meeting in April.
- Allen read the “Dues Letter” he drafted. It was approved with changes by the board.
- The annual board meeting will be held at Blue Lake House on Monday, April 13, 2015. Allen will prepare a power point presentation. He will invite Justin Patterson from Metro to share changes to Blue Lake Park. The social committee will be contacted about providing coffee and snacks at the meeting.
- As for next year’s Interlachen board membership, Allen, Roger, Bob, and Ted will continue their tenure. Don, Steve, Tom, and Michelle are up for possible re-election as determined by the nominating committee.
THE NEXT BOARD MEETING WILL BE HELD ON TUESDAY,
FEBRUARY 3RD, AT 7:00 PM
AT THE HOME OF TED SMITS