INTERLACHEN, INC. HOMEOWNER’S ASSOCIATION
August 11, 2014
Home of Allen Johnson
Board Members Present:
Allen Johnson, President
Steve Nelson, Blue Lake Commissioner
Tom Burns, Roads and Parks Commissioner
Roger Keast, Treasurer
Michelle Monson, Secretary
Erika Teyema, Social Committee
Ted Smits, Membership Commissioner
Bob Torheim, FLPOA/IWPUD Liaison Commissioner
Don Jacobson, Vice President
Meeting Called to Order: 7:05 pm
Reading and Approval of the Minutes:
Allen will post the approved minutes for July, 2014, on the Interlachen, Inc. website.
REPORTS OF OFFICERS AND COMMISSIONERS:
PRESIDENT, Allen Johnson:
See: “Old Business” below.
VICE PRESIDENT, Don Jacobson:
FLPOA/IWPUD LIAISON COMMISSIONER, Bob Torheim:
Bob provided an email outlining current issues, which follows:
FLOPA and PUD update.
Went to both board meetings this past Monday July 21st.
- Interlachen PUD:
- With two board members retiring they are looking for one new board member.
- The new owner of Dr Miracle’s old house on the canal attended the meeting. We have a great new neighbor who’s engaged in our neighborhood and hasn’t even moved in yet.
- All systems are A Ok. Testing is conducted on a regular basis with no issues found.
- With both certified water operators retiring from the board, the PUD continues to seek solutions. Currently the water circuit rider organization plugs that hole. More permanent solutions are being explored.
- Blue Green Algae. Still evident in the lake. Expecting the bloom to be gone in two weeks.
- July 10th a lake advisory was issued by Jim Graybill. Testing identified the Blue Green as a rather benign variety. Two more tests have or will be conducted as required by the State. These are the two week tests which began with the July 11th test.
- Weed Treatment. The shoreline has been treated with diquat. The air boat you may have seen on the lake wasn’t a Duck Dynasty fan but rather the company applying the weed control. Weed monitoring is continuing but they believe treatment was successful.
- Lake levels. The lake was drawn down prior to week control. It’s now refilling at a rate of one inch per day + getting additional help from Oregon’s liquid sunshine this week.
- Interesting note on pre-week treatment. FLOPA hired a company to review the weed count on the lake. This resulted in a color map of the lake which clearly shows the week concentration for the entire lake. A bit like an infrared ariel photograph. Something we may want to consider for Blue Lake.
- FLOPA president, Bob Dolphin, makes some great home brew. We may want to invite him over to our meeting.
TREASURER, Roger Keast:
Roger presented the current budget. As the bank branch that handles funds for Interlachen, Inc. is closing, the board approved changing the bank account for Interlachen, Inc. to First Community Credit Union in Fairview Village, Oregon.
Check number 1296 and numbers 1299-1305 were approved by the board.
ROADS AND PARKS COMMISSIONER, Tom Burns:
Tom requested funds for materials and labor for landscaping and installation of a water system at the easement that has been completed. The board approved the payments following a discussion that multiple bids are needed for expenditures of this type.
Tom will obtain bids for installation of a very-much needed
sprinkler system for Welsh Park.
See: “Old Business” for more on road repairs.
BLUE LAKE COMMISSIONER, Steve Nelson:
No report. See “Old Business” for more information.
MEMBERSHIP COMMISSIONER, Ted Smits:
One new member has agreed to send in a check. Several new homeowners will be contacted for membership.
SOCIAL COMMITTEE, Erika Teyema:
First of all, we want to extend a warm thank you to Evan Witton for his wonderful cello perfomance at the International Pot Luck in July.
Thanks to everyone who participated in the neighborhood garage sale.
We are looking forward to Jammin’ on the Lake with a live rock band on
August 14, 2014.
Movie night and picnic are scheduled for September, depending upon what the weather brings.
Pam Trask has agreed to oversee members’ borrowing and return of tables, chairs, canopie, etc. It seems that items are still missing at this time. Thank you, Pam.
- Troutdale Energy Center (TEC) update: Allen spoke with a representative from the City of Portland Water Bureau about well depths and the TEC. They are monitoring the well depths to ensure they will not be negatively impacted as a result of water usage by the TEC. Interlachen, Inc., is seeking a Memorandum of Understanding that TEC will rectify negative impacts to PUD wells. Tom Caufield has records on IWPUD well depths that we will submit to the TEC to enable the MOU. Groups continue their opposition to the TEC; including, the Oregon Pilots Association, the U.S. Department of Agriculture, and the Friends of the Columbia Gorge.
The next TEC meeting will be on September 10th, 2014. Roger Keast agreed to attend the meeting as our representative.
- Blue Lake Water Fills: Historically, the City of Portland pumped water free of charge into Blue Lake. This is no longer the case. Allen made contact with Patrick Easley from the City of Portland to find out what the cost would be now. Some homeowners think that the lake is down by a foot and a half. Others think that the water will evaporate in two weeks even if it were filled at this time. Due to these concerns and more, Councilwoman Shirley Craddick and Justin Patterson from Metro will attend the board meeting in September to agree on which conditions warrant filling the lake, e.g., the water reaches what level? The hope is that Metro and Interlachen, Inc. can reach an agreement on when a fill is required.
Other issues to be discussed with Metro are concerns about the swimming area, boating safety, and mosquito abatement. Allen will send the board members an email on all issues to be discussed.
- As for needed road repairs, several bids will be initiated by Tom Burns. Based on experience, the company, “William Stanley & Sons Paving” does good work on time at the lowest fee. Tom will offer members the opportunity to have repairs or seal coating on their properties at a reduced rate given that the equipment and materials are on site already. Thank you, Tom.
- The fundraiser held at Welsh Park went well by all reports of and lack thereof.
- Allen still intends to do a bulletin for Blue Lake similar to the FLPOA one.
- Welsh Park is reserved by the Knight family for September 7th from 11 am to 3 pm.
- One table and several chairs and a canopy appear to be missing from the shed. Erika will check on this. Pam Trask has offered to take charge of the borrowing and return of items and suggested changing the code on the lock. Several tents were damaged and will be replaced by the persons who borrowed them.
- Allen’s letter to the renters to clean up their yard had a positive impact. Improvements have been made–with promises of more to come.
- The Blue Lake 4th of July incident is closed.
- We have a new bollard lock.
- Committee on boat rules: Don will report next month.
- Requests were made for licensing and insurances documents from Pedro. He has not provided them. He will be informed that we must hire new landscapers if he does not present the documents.
THE NEXT BOARD MEETING WILL BE HELD ON MONDAY, SEPT. 15th, 2014, AT THE HOME OF ALLEN JOHNSON AT 7:00 PM.
SEE YOU THERE.