Print Friendly, PDF & Email

Interlachen Inc. Homeowner’s Association – Board Meeting
Wednesday, February 8, 2012
Burns Home

Board Members Present:

Allen Johnson – President
Erika Teyema – Vice President
Roger Keast – Treasurer
Sheri Parshall – Secretary
Debbie Weaver – FLPOA/IWPUD
Tom Burns – Roads and Parks Commissioner
Absent:
Bettianne Goetz
Curt Knight

Call to order: 7:10 p.m.

Minutes from January were approved as amended.

Officer Reports

President Allen Johnson
To be discussed in old business.

Vice President Erika Teyema
To be discussed in old business.

Secretary Sheri Parshall
No report.

Treasurer Roger Keast
Roger presented the treasurer’s report. General account funds available are $18,788.69. Roger presented expenses for payment, which were discussed. Moved and seconded to pay expenses as presented in the Treasurer’s report. Motion passed.

FLPOA/IWPUD – Debbie Weaver

FLPOA
Setting up some social events, including some that may include children. The county has been supportive of the permit process for treatment of the weeds.

PUD
Debbie will defer the PUD report to Tom, who’s been speaking with them regarding road repairs.

Blue Lake Commissioner – Curt Knight
Curt is traveling. Tom reported that he’s been researching use of stickers and enforcement of our rules, and recommends that we request from the county commissioners the authority to write our own statutes with regard to enforcement of HOA rules. Tom and Curt will work on this together.

BLIA Report. No report direct from BLIA.
Tom Burns – Road and Parks Commissioner
Tom has been researching costs for road repairs. Repairs to commence this month.

Bettianne Goetz – Membership
Bettianne is traveling. Discussion about making sure we get in touch with new owners to join the association. Discussion regarding how renters are classified. Homeowners are currently billed for dues but renters participate in activities. Further discussion is needed.

Social Committee (Roger for Betty Keast)
Events for next year will include: April Easter Egg Hunt, June Pancake Breakfast, 4th of July Parade, July Potluck, July Street Sale, August Potluck, August Art Fair, September Campfire, December Santa and Caroling.

By-Laws Review Committee – Erika Teyema
Met to review by-laws regarding various types of membership. Several by-law changes are recommended, as follows:

The committee wanted the by-laws to clarify that honorary memberships are awarded to individuals for meritorious service to Interlachen Inc and do not belong to households to be passed down to future generations.

The committee voted to recommend changing Sec. 7.F to read:
“Honorary membership only applies to the individual being honored and is not transferable.”

Also, with the addition of the new dock, new play structure and enhanced Blue Lake Easement, the committee discussed addressing the language of the associate member status to be more inclusive.

The following bylaw changes were recommended by the committee:

“Sec. 8.
B. Be approved by the Board of Governors.
G. Have access to common properties outside of Interlachen social functions.
H. Eliminate H.”

Old Business

Letter to homeowners regarding yard appearance – Allen received a positive response to his letter.

IRS Status- The IRS has asked for additional information, which Roger has provided.

Details on proposed power plant – Allen Johnson and Erika Teyema
Allen and Erika reported on his and Erika’s attendance to a meeting regarding the power plant, and have concerns. There is an official sign-up list for e-mail notices. If you are interested in subscribing to receive e-mail notices for any or all energy projects and/or general Siting Council announcements, please follow the following link: http://tinyurl.com//EFSC-email.

Allen has submitted a letter of public concern on behalf of Interlachen, Inc., to the State of Oregon Citing Officer to make these concerns known and have them entered into the review process. Allen and Erika raised the fact that we have our own water district, and voiced our concerns about the water usage. New wells may affect our water table not only in the wells, but the level of Blue Lake and our necessity going forward to have to pay for more fills. There are also concerns about the power lines, and we expressed our concerns about noise, and air discharge.

 

Important Document Storage – Roger Keast
Roger researched this with several banks. The cost-effective size doesn’t have enough space. Roger suggests that we have a 5 x 10 box at a cost of $98 per year, or a 10” x 10” x 26” box at $160 per year. Sheri asked if there are any historical societies that might offer archive space. Debbie will make some calls. Roger offered to keep documents at his home for the time being.

Mini-library box – Allen Johnson for Curt Knight
The project is going forward, with the help of Bev Knight and Al Goetz.

Preparation for Annual Meeting – Allen Johnson
Allen wants board members to be prepared at the March board meeting to put together a PowerPoint presentation for the annual meeting.

Next Year’s Board – Betty and Roger Keast
Discussion about next year’s board. Allen, Roger, Curt and Debbie are finishing their two-year terms. There are folks interested in participating, which is great.

Membership Dues – Roger Keast
Discussion about presentation regarding use of the association’s funds at the annual meeting, with emphasis on the fact that cost of services/product may affect the dues structure going forward. We will try to hold dues at their current level, keeping in mind the fact that FLPOA residents are faced with a steep assessment this year.

Thank you to those who pay dues on the website – Allen Johnson
We would like to post the names of those who have paid dues on the web site to thank those who have supported the Association this past year. Erika will get the information from Roger, and confirm with Bettianne with regard to those who may not want their name posted.

Generic Boat Stickers – Tom Burns
Recommended that the boat fees remain the same, barring news from BLIA that they need more money. Tom has researched pricing for generic boat stickers, at a cost of approximately $130, annual date sticker (“2012”, “2013”) will change, but the “Blue Lake Fish” will stay the same.

Audit – Allen Johnson
Roger will get in touch with those parties necessary to perform the annual audit. Roger will contact Ernie to schedule the audit.

New Business

Road repair bids – Tom Burns
Tom discussed road repairs needed, with the goal that any major road repairs be targeted for a 30-year life. Tom has received five bids. Pricing is hovering around $8-9,000.00. All contractors advised that this is a good time to do repairs due to slow business in the road-paving industry. It was moved and seconded that Tom be authorized to contract for road repairs equivalent to the first and second years of the budgeted road repair program not to exceed $10,000. It was noted that it’s cheaper to make all the repairs at one time as there is a substantial cost to simply bring the equipment to the location. Motion passed.

NASCAR Track Proposal – Allen Johnson
Allen received e-mail from a property owner whose property sits on the proposed main entrance. There is concern that there’s no avenue to protest. There are also questions regarding what kind of track is being proposed.

Next meeting: Monday, March 12 at 7 p.m., location Johnson House.

Adjournment at 9:20 pm.